Referring patients to a CDC-recognized lifestyle change program helps reinforce the important advice that you give them during their visits. Because CDC-recognized lifestyle change programs use a research-based curriculum and trained coaches, you can trust that your patients are receiving evidence-based information about weight loss, diet, exercise, and other important lifestyle changes. Once they’ve enrolled in the program, you may even find that their increased knowledge saves you time during office visits.
Health Promotion Council aims to increase enrollment in National Diabetes Prevention Programs in Southeastern Pennsylvania by promoting referral pathways for healthcare providers.
HOW TO REFER YOUR PATIENTS
Step 1 - Screen patients for type 2 diabetes risk factors and test to determine clinical diagnosis. Here are the guidelines from the CDC
Step 2 - Talk with your patient. It is important that their healthcare provider tells them their risk or diagnosis. Tell them that you are referring them to a DPP and it is important for them to attend
Step 3 - Complete a referral form - here is a sample of the information a DPP provider needs for enrollment.
Step 4 - Send the referral to a DPP provider or the DPP Network Referral Hub - see below for further guidance.
DPP Network Referral Hub
- Send referral via HealthShare Exchange Direct Secure Messaging portal to DiabetesPreventionReferral.HPC@direct.hsxsepa.org
- Toll free referral hotline - (855) 344-2844 or email email@example.com
- HPC will contact patients and register them for a virtual DPP series (while COVID19 precautions are in place all programs are delivered virtually, telephonically, or a hybrid).
- HPC communicates registration and referral to National DPP Provider vendor.
- HPC will communicate referral disposition to referring healthcare provider.
You can also identify a National DPP provider by one of three ways:
- Go to HPC's National DPP Network Monthly Calendar of Lifestyle Change Program
- Pennsylvania Department of Health National Diabetes Prevention Program Locator
- Go to the CDC-Recognition Registry of National DPP